As of April, 2017, this works perfectly. These types of tools tend to disappear as Facebook changes its algorithms, but for now it is fast, free, and effective.
You see a funny cat video on Facebook that you want to save in your archive. Here's what to do:
- Right-click it
- Choose "Show Video URL"
- Right-click to COPY the URL
- Go to this website: http://en.savefrom.net/
- Paste the URL into the box
- There is an option to choose HD (high-def) or SD (standard-def). I always choose the latter because the file size is smaller, and who really needs high-def cat videos?
- Press the DOWNLOAD button
- Tell it what folder to save to
I've done this dozens of times with no problem. It always offers to add itself as a browser extension, but I say, no thank you.